Our first big museum was Museum of American History. We found this awesome doll house that Brooke loved. There were so many people, I couldn't even read what was so special about it! I just knew Brooke thought it was cool!
We went thru the part of the museum that features things from the wars that America has been in. Well, we had our own Vietnam War Vet with us...Grandpa! We were so proud to see the helicopters that he flew on in Vietnam and the boys got a picture with him in front of one. Another BIG highlight was riding the Metro. By the end of the week, we knew the drill....
Both boys would try to hang on these bars during the ride....another feature of Washington DC are the "hobos." That's what the boys call them and there were many that would hang out by the Metro stations. The boys were not used to seeing people like this, so that was a main topic of conversation.......why are they homeless? How do they eat? Where do they go to the bathroom? It went on and on.........I think they are pretty educated on hobos now...
One of our most favorite things that we did was go to the National Zoo! It was awesome and we had a great day there!
The zoo has 2 panda bears and I don't think any other zoo in the US has Pandas. The female was kept inside because they thought that she was in labor. The male was just munching away on bamboo....he was so cute. This is a stuffed bear, in case you weren't sure :)
Not a great picture of the elephant, but I had just gotten over being in a trance because the elephant was up right by the fence peeing....everyone was in awe, let me just say, it was quite a sight to see! Once I came to, he was walking away and this is the picture I got.
The reptile house provided more entertainment than I thought it would. I guess we were there at the right time of day when the snakes, lizards, and other scaly creatures were active....Jackson is having a stare down with an iguana and Brooke is amazed!
We went on a night tour of all the monuments. That was awesome....we were driven around in an air conditioned tour bus and got to get off at the monuments if we wanted. Here we are in front of the capitol.
The kids and Grandpa at the top of the Jefferson Memorial.
I loved the Lincoln Memorial. The kids counted the steps on the way up and I think there were 58 of them! The enormity of the statue is amazing and I wish we could have stayed a little longer here.
Not a great pic., but the boys in front of the Korean War Memorial.....at this point, the boys were getting really tired. It was about 10:00. Once we got back on the bus, they both fell asleep and they missed the rest of the tour, but we loved it!
There's still more to come...............
1 comment:
Another good post! I'm glad the boys were educated on hobos amongst the national monuments and history in the city. Brooke is becoming a star for the camera and I love her hair in a ponytail with a bow:)
Post a Comment